06 October 2006

Anglo-Catholics: What they believe -- I.

Intro.:

I’ve just been reading a leaflet about Anglo-Catholicism. It’s a good, clear explanation of its topic. And it's as short as it could possibly be without sacrificing the basics. As I read it, I can feel myself reacting to the text in various ways, which is kind of exciting.

I should probably explain my interest in the subject. I'm an Episcopalian, baptized and confirmed as an adult, and from the beginning I have aligned myself with the Anglo-Catholic faction of my denomination. I cannot claim to be a lockstep adherent to the Anglo-Catholic movement’s precepts because, on a personal level, the intensity of my interest, devotion, and faith tends to vary. But I always regard with seriousness the faith I wish to proclaim, even if I fail to do so.

The leaflet is nearly 80 years old. But the writing style is clear and unadorned. The content avoids specific issues of its day, enabling the text to remain an accurate statement of facts, comprehensible and useful today.

The leaflet is accessible via two different links (that I know of): a parish link: the Church of the Resurrection, New York City, and an archival link: Project Canterbury.

N.B.: In acknowledgment of the work of the transcriber, Melissa Hunsberger, I will present the text in my blog, bit by bit, entry by entry, exactly as I access it from the internet, unless I lose interest and decide to stop.

Title info:

Anglo-Catholics: What they believe
By Leonard Prestige

Published for the Catholic Literature Association of the Anglo-Catholic Congress by the Society of SS. Peter & Paul, Limited, Westminster House, 8 Great Smith Street, London, S.W. I, 1927

No comments: