04 April 2007

The bell tolls

I've just had the most destabilizing experience reading someone else's blog.

Zac, whose Fool's Gold Coast blog offers a sort of point-counterpoint of flattery/ridicule with Käseblatt (that is, I flatter him and ridicule myself) posted another periodic tally of his diversions. He refers to Spike Lee's 1986 film She's Gotta Have It as "OLD MOVIE OF THE WEEK."

Now I don't usually think of myself as an old queen. But to me an old movie is one that antedates The Graduate. Something like an MGM Arthur Freed musical, or The Damned Don't Cry. But a Spike Lee movie? She's Gotta Have It, to me, is recent enough to stir clear memories of its first-release screening in theaters.

Perhaps I shouldn't admit such a thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the shock. I count anything being screened five years after its initial release date as an old movie.

In any case, I never made it to the Film Center to see this particular film, so it seems I've appalled you for nothing.