18 July 2006

Brevity is the soul of wit

Thank you, Hamlet. You hit the nail on the head, yet again.

I hereby stake my claim: the ideal everyday blog entry should be around 200-300 words in length. To the best of my ability, I will limit my future postings to this length.

Loosely speaking, a posting of 200-300 words permits a reader's eye to take in the whole of the text in a single glance at the average computer screen, and therefore presents itself as just substantial enough to express a thought adequately and engage the attention without threatening a reader's time and patience.

The end.

(98 words, not including Title or parenthetical word count)

1 comment:

Aethlos said...

interesting - i've come to a similar conclusion. but i don't do a word count, rather i try to fit each post on one screen. perhaps ironic though that hamlet (based on the 2nd quarto) plods on for 240+ minutes. :)