04 May 2006

The Next Swan

Last night, Wednesday 3 May, Klaus Florian Vogt debuted at the Metropolitan Opera as Lohengrin, taking over the role from Ben Heppner who had otherwise sung the whole run of this season's production. I was in the audience, accompanied by Mr. Supersweetie, who had had no previous exposure to Wagner (talk about baptism by fire!)

Supersweetie survived the evening commendably. And despite his relative inexperience with this type (or any type) of opera, he was able to appreciate Vogt's unusual excellence.

Unlike many Heldentenöre (if that's how Vogt can be classified), Vogt's voice is completely free of baritonal huskiness. Not that baritonal huskiness is a bad thing -- I like it a lot of the time -- but the absence of that characteristic in this fach borders on the unimaginable. Vogt's Lohengrin is closer in impression to Ian Bostridge than James King, if you can imagine such a thing.

Before you succumb to nausea, let me try to explain. This voice lacks neither power nor volume. I really couldn't believe my ears. His Act I entrance was so tender and youthful-sounding, that I really thought he was a teenager. I feared the worst -- "how will he ever sing the rest of this opera?" (I even thought he might have been miked.) But the rest of the opera was absolutely effortless for him. I can't understand it.

This ease and lightness perfectly conveyed the purity of Lohengrin's character. It really worked. As the evening went on Vogt put more heft into his tone here and there, so it was clear that he had more to give when he wanted to. I'm pretty confident that the tonal purity was a musical choice and not a crutch. He was not undersinging.

However...

When Vogt sings other roles, does he put that hidden extra heft to use? I'm not sure that his Florestan would be as effective as his Lohengrin if he sings it the same way. It would be too pale. Bacchus maybe. But one wonders....

I've been trying to find other opinions about him on the web today. So far I see no gossip at all in the blogosphere. Was anyone else at the Met last night?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really do have to go back to Völker, Wittrisch, Groh, Maison, even de Lucia to discover Vogt's vocal lineage. He would do well with one more dollop of honey in the voice that all his predecessors had in abundence. But let's not look gift horses in the mouth... Let's just hope the Met can muster the casting competence to have him back soon and often.

Swansinger